Rocking There In The Silence

 Once upon a time, a young momma drove her little man cub to school. It was a breezy October morning, overcast and dewy. As she drove down the road, the littles were yelling in the back seat and she could feel the stress building. Why did it seem so impossible to have a nice peaceful drive to school? Why did it seem that no matter how long she slept, she was always tired? Life was still moving forward, but this momma seemed to be dragging along behind. Heaven forbid she try to put some calming music on that was not a Frozen soundtrack (If you don't know what that is, google it... or better yet, don't)! Rounding the corner of the school that morning, that momma just happened to gaze over at the homes on the opposite side of the street. On one front porch, sat a sweet elderly man just rocking back and forth in his rocking chair. Not thinking much more of it, she entered the car line and dropped off her man cub. "Finally, maybe I'll get just a little bit of peace this morning..." she thought. 


As she drove on back home, she noticed that man again... but this time she noticed more. He seemed to be reading his Bible. Facing his rocking chair was an empty rocking chair that was also rocking a bit back and forth, but no one was in it. What a picture?! Now, I'm not going to say that it wasn't the wind... or maybe the elderly man's foot tapped the empty rocking chair a couple of times... but I have a theory that I just can't let go. I just can't help but wonder if Jesus was rocking in that chair facing that sweet man and being present in His quiet time. Yes, I know we have the Holy Spirit who is always listening and always present... but the thought of Jesus rocking alongside that man on his front porch just brings my heart so much happiness and peace. You see, as most of my stories go... that young, frazzled momma I referred to was me! (Shocking, I know) Driving my man cub to school seems like a rather simple task, until you add in the fussing and all the demands... and yet, here I pass this beautiful picture. I wish you were in the car with me, dear reader, to experience it for yourself. I'm sure this man had no idea that anyone would take notice to him this morning. I'm sure he just wanted some time with our Father enjoying the first bits of Autumn as the leaves danced gracefully to the ground below. 


Why is it so hard to desire quiet time with our Father (or maybe it's just me)? Why is it so hard to find the time to just sit and be with Him? Witnessing this moment was just what I needed this morning and I think it didn't just happen by coincidence. I believe the Lord uses various moments in our lives to get our attention. I think this was a reminder to me that no matter how chaotic my morning is... or my life for that matter... that God is there. Jesus is sitting in that rocking chair just waiting for us to bring out a cup of tea and rock alongside Him. 


I listened to a podcast this morning about discerning the voice of God. (Shoutout to Daily Grace for another great message)! In it, the women referred to God as our shepherd and us as His sheep.... how sheep will only answer to their shepherd because they know the sound of his voice. Dear reader, I don't know if you've ever heard our good Shepherd... but I encourage you to get into scripture! Learn His words, and I pray that because of that you will hear His voice and feel His presence rocking alongside you both in the quiet and the chaos. He's not waiting for us to have it all together! He isn't waiting for us to be perfect! He doesn't need our children to be silent to whisper words our hearts need to hear. Maybe you're in a rough chapter right now... I think most of us are! Whether your rough chapter is COVID related, job related, "world ending" related, house or family related... no matter what is going on, Jesus is there. He is here. Know His presence and feel it. Lastly, I want to share a chapter from Psalms.


Psalm 46 (ESV): TO THE CHOIRMASTER. OF THE SONS OF KORAH. ACCORDING TO ALAMOTH. A SONG. 

      1 God is our refuge and strength, 

      a very present help in trouble. 

      2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, 

      though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, 

      3 though its waters roar and foam, 

      though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah 


      4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, 

      the holy habitation of the Most High. 

      5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; 

      God will help her when morning dawns. 

      6 The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; 

      he utters his voice, the earth melts. 

      7 The LORD of hosts is with us; 

      the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah 


      8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, 

      how he has brought desolations on the earth. 

      9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; 

      he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; 

      he burns the chariots with fire. 

      10 “Be still, and know that I am God. 

      I will be exalted among the nations, 

      I will be exalted in the earth!” 

      11 The LORD of hosts is with us; 

      the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah


Prayer: 

Dear Lord, we come to You today in dire need of Your presence in our lives. God, without You we are nothing. Thank you for your Holy Spirit that lives within us. Thank You for sending Your Son to die for us, that we may all spend eternity with You, Father. There is so much chaos in our world right now, and I just come to You and ask for peace amidst the storms. Lord, please meet us where we are and take us by the hand. Lead us in Your truth and please give us wisdom and discernment to help guide us on a path towards righteousness. Help us to seek You when times are good and when times are bad. Father we love You! In Christ's most Holy name, Amen.  


Worship:

There Was Jesus 

Be Thou My Vision 

Be Still and Know

Even If

Comments

Popular Posts