Fluttering Through The Darkness

 Once upon a time, the crickets started chirping as the old barn owls began to hoot. Hundreds of twinkling lights danced across the evening sky. It's as if they were communicating with each other from afar.. "I'm here. You're not alone. I haven't forgotten you." As the sun kissed the earth good night, those twinkling lights flickered brighter and brighter. They fluttered here and there and twirled about for hours with seemingly no place to go. Sometimes the lights dimmed, and other times the lights shined brighter than ever. The closer they were to one another the brighter they appeared. Isn't it amazing how something so small can produce enough light that no matter where it flutters in the night sky, near or far... its light is always visible in the darkness? 

Life has been full of uncertainty and loneliness for so many over these past few months. I know I for one have been struggling... somedays more so than others. My family and I have lived in this new place for almost a year now, and we still feel like strangers. How strange is it to be in a place for such a while, and yet feel so detached? I wonder if this is how most people are feeling during this pandemic. Maybe you don't feel detached from a place... maybe you're feeling detachment from the world... your community... your sense of normalcy. Those little flickering lights have more meaning than I originally intended. Here I was beginning this story thinking of how God is like those flickering lights... how no matter where you are in life, God is still there. Sometimes in our darkest moments we see Him more than when we are surrounded by light during the day. Why is it that we need to go through the darkness to really feel His presence? Maybe it's because when the sun is shining brightly, we can see what's in front of us and behind us and don't have to rely so heavily on our Heavenly Father. In the darkness, we need Him even more to show us the way and hold us close when we don't know what's going on around us. Those dark moments remind us of how much we truly need Him. Where are you in your walk, dear reader? Do you see those tiny twinkling lights as a reminder that God has not forgotten you. He hasn't left you alone. He's there... just reach out to Him. 

As I continued to picture these little fluttering beings dancing across the sky, I felt consumed with another interpretation... and maybe you can relate more to this. See, we are created for community. I know this idea can also be foreign to some who prefer the more introverted life style... but you cannot make me believe that there is any one person (as introverted as he/she may appear) that does not need at least one close friend. We have a need to be heard and understood and loved. This new normalcy we've been called to endure through this pandemic has magnified this need in my life. I crave relationships. If I were one of those little flicker of lights, I would have to guess my light must be shining a little dimmer than usual. I know I still have it, because I have Jesus Christ in me... but I long to have conversation that encourages my soul. I need to be in community with those who are pursuing my same passion, Jesus. As much as I'm trying to go about my daily life being His hands and feet here... it's a lot easier when I'm in fellowship with others. This stinking pandemic has made this a lot more difficult here lately. If one of those little fluttering lights represented me and the other lights dancing around represented you, dear reader, I would want to flutter as close to you as I possibly could to let you know that I'm here and I haven't forgotten you either. Your light to me is so welcomed and I can't wait for each little light to feel comfortable and safe enough to flutter closer together sharing life and doing life together once again. I want to encourage your heart, dear reader, that God has not forgotten you or me or any one of His children. He is still here, listening, and holding us through this darkness. Keep twinkling no matter how dim... because your light can still be seen and you matter. Your presence matters... so dance! Light up the sky and keep fluttering... encouraging those from afar. 

Lastly, these fluttering lights remind me of how we should see one another. There is so much hate and judgement in this world. Here's the thing... we are all different and no one will ever completely agree on everything. We all have our own convictions. So stop trying to put out each other's light. When God looks at His children, He sees Jesus... the light from within. In His eyes we all look the same. Whenever you go to pass judgment, ask God to help you see others through His eyes. As followers of Jesus, our witness is not only through our words, but our actions. Stop throwing words around so carelessly... and start living as you truly are the hands of feet of the One who took our sins to the cross and paid the ultimate price for something we can never earn but are so graciously given, eternal life with our one and only Aba, Father.  I encourage you all to be quick to welcome these twinkling lights to flutter among you and serve alongside you. Don't hesitate to dance with each other... because together we shine brighter than alone. 


Dear Heavenly Father,    I come to You in complete humility today. I want to thank You for each fluttering light You have sent dancing into the darkness. Whether You've done so to remind us of Your faithful presence among us or to remind us that together our twinkling can light up the night sky... I appreciate and thank You for this beautiful image You've blessed me and my readers with. Lord, I pray that You continue to use each of us as Your hands and feet in this world, bringing glory to Your name, seeking Your lost sheep, and joining together even from afar in worship of You and Your gracious ways. We love You and ask that You keep us in Your mighty hands through these trials we are currently facing in this world. We need You, Aba. We need You in every aspect of our life. Keep shining Your presence Lord. In the beautiful name of Jesus Christ, we pray, amen.


Scripture:

 "In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven." Matthew 5:16


"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6 


"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105


Worship:

Way Maker

Light's Always Stronger

Light Up The Sky

 

Comments

Popular Posts