Hello Future Me...

Once upon a time, a middle aged, joyful woman stood in a checkout line at a local grocery store. As she stood there waiting to check out, a tired, worn out momma stepped in line behind her. The timing was more than perfect. As the joyful woman turned to put her groceries up on the conveyer belt, she greeted the momma with a smile. While she continued unloading her groceries from the cart, her phone rang and the sound of her sweet son's voice came on the phone as he frantically asked her questions regarding her shopping trip. Hastily she answered and hurried him up laughingly as she reassured him that she remembered the things he was asking for from the store. After hanging up the woman smirked to the momma behind her and muttered something to the extent of kids being a handful but definitely worth it. The young momma agreed and told the woman she had two toddlers of her own. A big grin spread across the woman's face as she carried on about how wonderful children are... all of her children. Not only did she have her own children, but she has farm animals she considered children and she is a teacher. She works with children who have special needs and spoke of just how much excitement it adds to her life. As the tired, worn out momma listened she was overwhelmed with a sense of peace and excitement herself. She had been so wrapped up in being a momma to littles that she had forgotten some of her dreams prior.

Sometimes life doesn't always happen as we expect it. Sometimes our dreams fade a little and life seems a bit foggy. We may start doubting our purpose here or our impact we have on those around us. That tired, worn down momma was me today. I have been struggling since our move finding my place and feeling a sense of belonging. This is a normal feeling after each move, but today I felt like the Lord gave me just a little glimpse of the future me. There is a season for everything and our job is to find joy in the season we are in. I'm in the season of life where my littles mean more to me than taking any other job. That doesn't mean that I don't still have passions I had prior to having my littles... and today it seemed that God wanted to remind me that my purpose here is much bigger than I can fathom. A friend asked me fairly recently if I enjoyed being a stay at home mom... I laughed. It's not often that someone actually asks me. Usually I get the old, "How on earth do you do it?! I would rip my hair out!" ...or "Isn't it just the best gift in the whole world?" Well friends, I'm here to tell you that this season is no walk through the park. It's not easy and sometimes I feel like I'm about to throw in the towel and check myself into the crazy house for talking to myself! My 4 year old loves asking me just who I'm talking to... and sometimes I'm really not sure! There are moments throughout each day where I'm praising the Lord for my job, being at home with my kids... and then there are times where I just want an out! But then there are times like today when I meet a woman who is living my dream and it inspires me to keep going.

Someday I imagine myself on a small piece of land with a cow and a few chickens... and "Bacon" my future pet pig... since my sweet hubby says the only way I'm ever getting a pig is if I let him name it Bacon. I know, my hubby is just the sweetest, isn't he? I see myself working with kids that bring more joy to my life than I can put into words... kids with special needs that I see as some of the most genuine, beautiful people in this world. I see me on the bleachers of my kids football and baseball games cheering them on, screaming, "Those are my boys!" This is the life I dream of.

What are your dreams? Have you ever met someone that sparked those desires in your soul... someone who reminded you that your story is a lot bigger than any story you can imagine?
Don't take those encounters for granted. Let those jewels of conversation keep you striving for a life God has planned for you... one where your desires are His and they happen in His perfect timing.

After talking with a neighbor today, it hit me hard... we aren't guaranteed tomorrow. In fact each day is a miracle. What if we looked at life that way? What if instead of dragging our feet in the season we are in... we start each day with gratitude? What if this season is another step towards a bigger dream God is carefully illustrating and without this season your masterpiece would never be complete?

This year, I want to be in the moment. I want to live my life knowing it has purpose. Each day, I want to wake up thankful and seek the Lord ensuring that I'm walking with Him and being available to everything He calls me to. Sure, this seems a bit overwhelming... but God doesn't give us anymore than we can handle and I wouldn't be starting each day if He didn't begin it for me. My prayer has been for years that I would. "Know and follow hard after Him." Imagine how life might turn out if we were all doing this? I'm not for prosperity preaching but I can promise you this, a life bigger than your dreams exists in Him and through Him and that's a life I myself want to live. So to the joyful woman checking out in line ahead of me: Thank you for sparking my passions again. Thank you for reminding me that life has seasons and to be grateful for each one. Thank you for your kindness and encouragement. I pray your life be blessed in abundance and that the same joy you brought me, you bring to another tired momma in need of a smile and a spark.

Readers, I pray you don't live life stuck in a rut. I pray you wake up each day knowing it's ok to dream and believing that any dream God gives you can come true. I pray this new year brings sparks of passion and hopefulness from above. And to each of you, remember what a smile and kind word can bring to another.


Last but not least, future me... I pray someday you read this and remember that woman in the grocery store. I pray all of those little sparks come together in the most beautiful illustration you could ever imagine.

Scripture:

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans."
Proverbs 16:3

"Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit for itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me."
John 15:4

Comments

Popular Posts