Tis the Season

Once upon a time, it was a cold and rainy morning. Sitting in Starbucks where I should have been studying, I couldn't. My heart wasn't in it and all I wanted to do was find myself back in bed under piles of covers wishing I was far more ahead in the future than where I was and currently am. I am more than thankful for where God has me and how far I've come. But for some reason, it's been hard for me to keep optimistic these past several weeks. I once heard a saying,
"A glass of milk is always half full, half full of milk and half full of air. So it's never half empty." -unknown
Why is it so hard to be patient? Why is it so difficult for me to be truly happy? This morning I realized why I have to work so hard to stay up beat this time of year. It's the Christmas season where families come together and couples walk about hand in hand shopping for gifts as Christmas music blares through the department stores, car radios, and coffee shops. I should be thankful because the Lord has blessed my life greatly, but I'm constantly fighting the thoughts of what I don't have. All the Christmas songs played lately are more secular than Christian with lyrics about people in love.. blah blah blah... Sitting in Starbucks this morning, I longed for those Christmases past spent with my Papa, Nanny, aunts, uncles, and cousins... I longed for my other half... and I longed for my future family....

I want to say that I am happy with it being just me and God. I want to say I am happy spending Christmas with my momma, daddy, and brother and no one else. I want to say that I am happy with where I am in my life. There's a lot I "want" to say... but do I mean it? Things are always easier said than done... My prayer is that the Lord fills me up this season and reminds me the reason for the season. It's not about me... it's about our Savior who has come to give me and you eternal life. It's the celebration of His birth and His life on earth. Let us be filled by the Spirit. Let us be happy with who we are, our life, and for those we hold dear to our hearts.

I pray you feel warmth in your hearts. I pray you are overcome with an inner happiness and peace that cannot be explained. I pray you are not alone this Christmas and that even if you are, you feel Jesus in your presence.

I may not have a hand to hold, but Christ holds my heart. I may not have Christmases like those in the past, but I still have Christ's birth to celebrate. I may not have my future family now, but there is always God's promise of having one in the years to come. My motto: the glass is always half full.

The Words of the Lord:
A Psalm of David

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

-Psalm 23:1-6

Comments

Popular Posts