I Thought I Left That Behind.....

Once upon a time, a young couple entered the room. It took only a mere second for all eyes to notice them. It's as if you could read everyone's mind; simultaneously all but maybe few people in the room thought,
"I wonder what it's like to be them; I wish I was like them." 
Many flocked over to ask them all about themselves. They were so intrigued to know about their life, who they were, where they came from, and everything in between. The woman had great poise and spoke rather eloquently. The man was professional and well dressed. Everything about them seemed dreamy and perfect.

How many of us get caught in this endless cycle... this trap that only leads to discontentment and shame? As children, we all start out as friends, doing life together and supporting one another. We compliment each other and life is all about make believe. We get so caught up in our imagination, our fairy tales, our absolute innocence... until we reach THAT AGE. What age am I referring to? It's slightly different for everyone... but sure enough it happens. We all go about ourselves in such a positive light until the world creeps in. Suddenly we go from seeing ourselves as beautiful/handsome and wonderfully made to "never being good enough." I truly feel that Satan gets his foothold in us and runs wild. We suddenly put others up on pedestals because we think they look perfect, or they are better than us in some way or another.

I thought for sure, after high school this cycle would end. Looking at myself in the mirror, God would remind me, I am made in His image. I am beautifully made and I am His. Isn't that enough? No matter what the world says is "perfect" does not matter. All that He is concerned with is our heart. I have learned to stop wishing I was someone else. Have you ever thought that though someone's life seems perfect on the outside, it might be different behind closed doors? Maybe that person is struggling with something physically or emotionally and that front that says he/she has it all "together" is just to keep others from seeing flaws and knowing him/her deeper. I encountered this in college, and to my dismay I am encountering it as a grown woman who is now a wife and mother. This cycle hasn't stopped.

Most people call it the Green Monster of envy. This Green Monster sure does like to hang around. It doesn't affect me how it use to, thankfully. Instead of comparing myself to others, I have created an idea of what I should look like and be like, and that in itself is harmful if it's discrediting who God has made me to be.
Let me side note and say, it's not bad to want to better ourselves; but it's terrible when we don't love ourselves in the process. Who are we bettering ourselves for? The only answer should be, for the Lord. 
I may look like I just walked out of a magazine or I may look like I just rolled out of bed. Maybe I have peanut butter in my hair and jelly stains on my shirt from my rambunctious little messy toddler that rides around on my hip. Some months, I may have less in my bank account than I am comfortable with and wish I had more. There are evenings when I would rather soak in a bath and scroll Pinterest leaving the loads of laundry and mopping of floors that are forever getting dirty to my sweet hubby. Thankfully, I have a hubby who helps me out and allows me to do so every now and again. However, amidst the messes that linger in my house sometimes a little too long, there are moments I sit down and think, "Man, I wouldn't trade my life for the world."

I realize I've rambled on and should go ahead and wrap it up... my southern core could ramble for much more. In all of this my point is,

Stop putting others on pedestals. Be who God is creating you to be and don't change for anything or anyone but Him. Ladies, you are gorgeous and made in His image. Gentlemen, you are handsome and made in His image. You are loved and cherished. Open your eyes to see yourselves as He sees you. 
Scripture:

"I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." Psalm 139:14

"So God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." Genesis 1:27

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Comments

Popular Posts