Scared Stiff

Once upon a time, a long awaited day crept up on an impatient young woman. Her whole life (or that she could remember), she had dreamed of this very day! Oddly enough, as it came closer, panic set in. She was SCARED STIFF! How could a day she had awaited for so long cause panic? The night before her special day, she spent wide awake. The poor young woman tried everything that came to mind to calm her nerves. She went for a midnight swim (until storms blew in), she shed some tears, drank a glass of milk, and finally nestled into a cozy bed for the last four remaining hours before her day began. As she slipped into a peaceful slumber, she prayed,
"Please Lord, You know how I doubt myself... I am about to make a commitment that will last a lifetime. If this truly is the man You have chosen for me, please give me a peace tomorrow. Please show me that You are there with me on my special day. Then I will know, the man I give my heart to is the man You have created to be my husband. Amen."
As she awoke the next morning, her "groom to be" was waiting for her. The two were about to make one of the most beautiful, yet scary decisions they would ever make.

The young woman in the story is me, of course. The "groom to be" is my "now husband." I will never forget that weekend leading up to the day I said "I do." The morning of my wedding day, my husband came to my beach house to take me to town to get our marriage license. The ride to the mainland was silent. I was emotionally drained from the night before. No one really talks about what a bride experiences leading up to her wedding, but I'm here to give you my short spiel. I was a WRECK up until the morning of the BIG DAY. One minute, I was on cloud nine thinking about how wonderful it would feel to finally be a wife! The next minute I was crying because I felt I was forever saying goodbye to my childhood. Any time I visited my parents, all I could think about was them "giving me away." I became the ultimate worrier once again! However, I am here to say that the drive to get our wedding license the morning of our wedding put all my worries to ease. Though the drive in was mostly quiet, the drive back was spent discussing our fears about what the future held for us both and the excitement that awaited despite our fears.

After dropping me off at my beach house, the wedding preparations began. My bridesmaids, mom, aunt, and cousins joined me for brunch and headed to the spa to get pedicures and our hair done! Having them all around me for the afternoon was a blessing in itself. I am such a family girl, and for once I was getting everyone I cared about all in the same room! God kept reminding me throughout the day to live in the moment, treasure every minute, and not to worry about the future! I had spent so much time leading up to the wedding crying because I knew it would pass in the blink of an eye. Everyone gets so hung up on the wedding, and not the marriage! Well friends, I will gladly say that though I was hung up on the wedding, it was only because I knew it would be the only time I had so many people I cherish around me! I wasn't alone, my husband felt the very same. However, I was so thankful that The Lord kept whispering not to worry about the future. There was no reason for me to think about the end when the wedding itself had yet to begin.

As the afternoon passed, I found myself putting on my wedding gown! Time was ticking and the next thing I knew, music was playing! Like a whirlwind, I had linked arms with my first love, my dad. His eyes were lit up and I could see all the love he had for me and my soon to be husband. I can honestly say that my dad's life has not only impacted mine, but given me a taste for the love my Heavenly Father has for me. Gazing up at him reminded me of all the memories he has given me, and this one in particular was sure to last forever. The next thing I knew, Amazing Grace began to play and all I could see in front of me was my groom. Within a moment, my dad was handing me off to the love of my life as he smiled with the excitement of gaining another son. As our beach ceremony proceeded, storms were blowing in. A funnel touched down in the bay on the other side of the island. The Holy Spirit reminded me of something my mom use to tell me as a little girl, "Satan always tries to ruin what is good and holy." I knew that no matter what, stormy whether or sunshine, I would go through with this marriage because in my heart, I knew it was good and holy. My groom and I had prayed about it for so long, and the peace I had prayed for already set in.

We managed to get through the ceremony, take a few pictures, and eat as we waited out the storm. Lightening lit up the sky and the thunder shook the sand beneath our feet. Rain pounded the roof for a short while and then all was calm. We were amazed at how quickly it passed. Our photographer came to get the wedding party for sunset pictures and it was then I knew without a shadow of a doubt that The Lord was with me and looking down on our wedding. Approaching the beach, our photographers told us to look up. In the sky was not only one rainbow, but two. Friends, I teared up again! In the Bible, the rainbow is a symbol of God's promise. I firmly believe that He was not only with me, but blessing us. My fairytale came true and like a dream it has come and gone.

So the next chapter begins! Life with my husband is living a new dream! I didn't marry him for the wedding; I married him to have my best friend, encourager, support, and one of my biggest fans going through life with me for the rest of my days on earth. There is no more sadness because our BIG DAY is over, but happiness for new beginnings. We have entered a phase of marital bliss and the occasional "You're Right, I'm Wrong"....... or my version of "I'm Right, You're Wrong."  There will be hoops to jump through, fun to be had, places to go, people to see, and memories to be made. As long as we keep the One who brought us together in the center of our lives, I know we've got it made! As they say, a family who prays together stays together! Don't let fear hold you back from living the life God has created for you!

   
Scripture for the day:

"I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be a sign of the covenant between me and earth."
Genesis 9:13

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matthew 6:34
   
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7







Comments

Popular Posts