Desires of the Heart

Once upon a time, all was quiet. I had gone about my usual morning routine preparing for the day when I felt the Lord calling me. It had been weeks since I had really spent quiet time with Him. I always say my prayers at night and usually fall asleep halfway through, but quiet time with the Lord is a lot different from my usual nightly prayers. It is during my quiet time He teaches me through His word. I wish I could say I read my Bible religiously. However, I don't find much enjoyment reading. Though every time I open my Bible, I am presented with vereses relative to my circumstances at that time. Friends, it is one of those verses the Lord impressed into my heart throughout this week. It is one of those verses that tugged at my heart so much it brought me to tears.

"Delight yourself in the Lord; and He will give you the desires of your heart."                      
-Psalm 37:4 
He does not say to take delight in this world. So often I find myself looking for earthly things to satisfy me. Yet the things in this world are only temporary. This past week, it seemed as though nothing went right... by my standards. My car stopped working. My "dream" college job fell through. Another job I applied for was already filled. I spent the week fighting off whatever sickness went through my house. I wasn't able to sleep. Everything went wrong! I felt the Lord reminding me to count my blessings and trust in Him, but I didn't want to. How could He have allowed any of this mess? Why would He not want me to have this job? Questions ran through my head all week long. Thursday night, I began venting to my best friend. It was then she said, "Everything will be okay." That was our motto we lived by all summer. Every time we got ourselves in a bind, stressed out, or worried we repeated this phrase to each other over and over again. What was it about this simple phrase that made stress and worries of this world melt away?

Friday morning, I got up preparing for the day. It was rainy outside and all I could think about was the stillness of the morning. The sun hid behind the clouds and the only sound was raindrops splashing against the window. I was to spend the day with a friend, but she was running behind. It was a calm morning, and it was then I opened my Bible/devotion to Psalm 37:4.  I have prayed for as long as I can remember that the Lord's desires for my life become that of my own. Sitting on my bed reading Psalm 34 feeling so unworthy and guilty for my frustration with Him this past week, His words spoke forgiveness. "The Lord redeems his servants; no one will be condemned who takes refuge in Him." Psalm 34:22

It is my prayer for this year to delight in the Lord, for He alone knows the desires of my heart. Though I may not see His plans clearly, I know they are better than those of my own. In a recent conversation I found myself expressing the importance of putting our focus on the Lord. When seeking Him first before anything else this world has to offer, it is then He allows everything to fall into place.

The Word:

"You are my rock and my fortress; Therefore, for your name's sake, lead me and guide me." 
Psalm 31:3 

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you by the way you should go." 
Isaiah 48:17

"The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; you shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." 
Isaiah 58:11

"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you."
John 15:7

Comments

Popular Posts