Security

Once upon a time, I got on a plane headed north to a place I'd soon refer to as home. Stepping off the plane, it was so different from the busy Atlanta airport I was accustomed to. While impatiently waiting for my bags, I received a phone call from my family saying they'd be there shortly. As the anticipation grew, butterflies took off in my stomach. All I could think of was how badly I had missed my family those 4 months I had been without them. I didn't realize how much I had missed them though until it finally came time to see them. Stepping outside, I gazed over to the long line of cars pulling up to the curb. Seeing their car pull up, I felt a peace I simply cannot explain. I was no longer in a sea of unfamiliar people. My brother jumped out of the car along with my mom and embraced me as if it had been years since they had seen me. Throwing my bags in the car, we chatted away catching up on life. 

There's something about being in the presence of your family that provides such a feeling of security. That's when it hit me. I thought about being in the presence of the Lord! On earth, I am a control freak! I hardly ever feel secure. No, I'm not a crazy paranoid person. I'm just the person that truly believes ANYTHING can happen to me. I'm sure if you've read some of my previous posts, you gathered that. It's not that I don't believe the Lord is in total control; I just have trouble accepting it. When I was younger, I use to pile up pillows around me at night thinking it would prevent any "monster" or "bad guy" from getting me. Call me a nut! Yes, I'm in my 20s and still sleep with my blanket... (as I'm sure I've admitted 100 times).  I need to feel secure though. It's the only way I feel comfortable. It's the only way I feel "at home." My dad asked me this past summer if I was ever going to give up my blanket. Without missing a beat I responded, "No. Everyone has something they won't give up. Mine is my blanket. Whoever I marry someday will have to get over it. If it could go to heaven with me, I'd take it!" In my eyes, my blanket is my "piece if home." My sense of security is found when I'm with my family and sleeping with my blanket. However, coming to this conclusion I realized how wrong I am. I should be placing my security in the Lord. Someday, when He brings me home, I would feel ashamed to stand there admitting I found security in the world. 


The world is not our home, We as believers are never to get too comfortable here. Family is important; but not more than our relationship with our heavenly Father. My blanket means so much to me, but it's not the blanket that dries my tears when I'm sad. It's not the blanket that saves me from the world. I understand, we are human and it's only natural we look to earthly things to "secure" us. That is not what the Lord intended though. My family is not the source of peace I feel when I'm with them. My blanket is not the source of a peaceful night's sleep. The spotlight shines on Christ alone. Without Jesus, a feeling of peace would cease to exist. 


As weeks passed, I finally felt at home in my parents new house. Thanks be to the Lord. Though I must remind myself, this world is not my eternal home. Here's to the security we will find in His presence. Amen.   




Scripture Reads:

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.'' ~ Hebrews 12:2


"One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple. For in the days of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His sacred tent and set me high upon a rock." ~ Psalm 27:4-5


“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” ~ John 16:33

Comments

Popular Posts