Answer Me Already!

Once upon a time, I looked up the definition for patience. It is defined as:
The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
How many of you can honestly say you do not struggle with this on a daily basis? There has to be some area of your life that you can't help but become impatient. Whether it's standing in line waiting to check out, watching a movie on the edge of your seat to see how it ends (because you don't have patience enough to read the book), praying your house will sell so you can begin a new chapter, fishing for that perfect guy/girl the Lord has for you, or getting pregnant (as long as you're married), patience is what we lack. We want things now, we wanted life to happen how we wanted it to yesterday. Instant gratification is running ramped through this chaotic world we live in and God tells us what? Be patient!

These past few weeks, the good Lord has had an ear full of listening to what I want and excuses to why I need them. Would you like to hear a good laugh? If you would, keep reading.

"Lord, I need You. I need You to hear me out. I want my house sold, my parents in Ohio together happily ever after, a job for the summer, an amazing Christian guy who is completely in love with You.... did I mention I'm 20 and time is ticking for someone who has NEVER had a boyfriend? Did I mention I'm ready to be on my own, in a relationship, doing whatever You ask as long as it doesn't involve me working fast food... staying in Marietta, or being single the REST of my LIFE? Oh yeah, and most all of my friends are dating and I'm ALWAYS the 3rd wheel. Yeah, and if You could get me that job tomorrow, and sell my house tomorrow, then I'll be forever grateful! Thanks Lord! In Jesus most precious, holy, blessed, glorious name AMEN!"

Great prayer right? God is definitely listening to me.... and most likely laughing. Ah, but the Lord says we do not have because we do not ask. Well, I'm asking. Are you asking? How are you asking? Who are you asking?

My mom has come to me over the past weeks concerned with our house selling. Is the price of the house too high? Did Dad make the right choice in taking this new job? What is there not to like about our house? These questions are played on a broken record titled, "Needing Answers." If not for these questions I would not have developed my new motto!
"Then again, it's all up to Him."
 I don't have answers friends. I want them like the next person; but like the next person I have to be patient. Do I find myself wanting to scream into a pillow at times out of mere frustration? Yes! Have I felt the need to slap someone because they are impatient and seeking answers from me I do not have? Yes! God never said following Him would be easy. I'm in this impatient, sinful self, tapping my fingers and slamming my keys as I type this post awaiting the grand finally... the final point of what I am trying to say.

We all want answers. We all want things to happen on our time. We want God's will for our lives but our lack of patience can easily get in the way. So friends, hear this. I am praying for you and me. Not the prayer I posted above. It's selfish and not pleasing to our heavenly Father. Praise the Lord He has patience for us. I thank the Lord I am not Him, because I'd have given up on me and everyone else the day Eve took a bite of that apple. Remember, life as we know it isn't up to us if we are following Him. We don't decide. He does. So sit on your hands if you have to and let your life go based on God's timing. I've heard too many horror stories from those who took matters into their own hands!

Scripture says:

And we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness to have the full assurance of hope until the end, so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
 Hebrews 6:11-12

 ....As for that in good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience.
Luke 8:15



   

Comments

Popular Posts