Searching for Answers

Once upon a time, a little girl was given a puppy. She had wanted a puppy for a long time and on her 13th birthday, her parents surprised her with a Mutt. That puppy followed her around and hated being without her every time she left for school. He wanted her undivided attention when she was home to play and curl up next too. His tail would wag every time she picked him up and the two would spend the afternoon watching cartoons together until dinner. It soon became routine; the puppy had her schedule memorized when it came to knowing what time she'd leave for school in the mornings and what time she'd return. For weeks this kept up as the puppy grew bigger and bigger.

Then one afternoon the little girl got off the bus, took a look at her puppy as she walked in the door, and headed to her room. Without giving her puppy so much as a pat on the head, the puppy stared at her perplexed. What happened? Why won't she play? Scurrying up to her room, he found the little girl in tears. Barking did not get her attention... pawing her wasn't either... and neither was pulling at her shoelaces. There was so much going on in the little girl's life that one puppy wouldn't make things better. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't help but take it out on the puppy. With the puppy's tail between his legs, he scampered out.

Weeks passed and the little girl still refused to play with the puppy. The puppy spent most of its time outdoors barking amongst the neighbors' dogs and digging up holes to hide his bones. Would the little girl ever come around again?

How many times do you find yourself trying to fill the emptiness in your life with what the world says is missing? I have the most amazing heavenly Father and yet I still don't feel like my cup is overflowing... or even close to full for that matter. I have found myself searching for place holders whether it be friends, a guy, or family... when I feel God telling me to come to Him. Is it that I don't like the answers He's giving me in certain areas of my life? Could it be that I'm not surrendering enough to Him? What is bothering you? What are you not giving up? Have you tried to take on the world only to find it weighing you down? Do you relate to the little girl with the puppy, that the puppy isn't good enough and therefore you are taking out all your frustration on it?

For me, the puppy represents my family... I am trying this new thing where I make my own decisions and those of you who have kept up with my posts will remember from my last entry. However, I still feel the need to have everyone's opinion. In convincing myself that I'm claiming independence from my parents in this area, I found instead that I was seeking everyone else. Every time my family would have something to say, I'd take my frustration out on them. No one said growing up would be easy. So I have a new motto, if I'm going to be independent, then I'm ONLY seeking God in my decision making. I do have mentors in my life who have and continue to help me; but they help in directing me back to the Lord and doing what I feel is right by Him. God is constantly changing us for the better. What we need to do is practice patience, be still, and listen. Things of this world cannot make our struggles disappear, though we wish they would. However, God says to come to Him. Friends, if you are going through hard times right now, you are not alone. I am praying for you. Reach out to the Lord and let your requests be made known to Him.

Seeking the Lord through His Word.

"In the multitude of my anxieties within me, your comforts delight my soul."
Psalm 94:19

"The Lord is the God who lives forever, who created all the world. He does not become tired or need to rest. No one can understand how great His wisdom is. He gives strength to those who are tired and more power to those who are weak. Even children become tired and need to rest, and young people trip and fall. But the people who trust the Lord will become strong again. They will rise up as an eagle in the sky; they will run and not need rest; they will walk and not become tired."
Isaiah 40:28-31

Comments

  1. I thought the puppy represented God. He's Always there for us....we love being with Him and things are good.....then when things aren't, we search other places to find our answers or we just ignore Him. All He ever wants is us.....through the good and bad.....through our anger and our tears. Hope you will always find that He is all you ever really need!!! It's hard growing up....and No One ever Arrives until Heaven anyways......though God gives us others to hear His voice or feel His Comfort....just remember, No One grows up overnight......it's a Process!!! At 47 I'm still growing up......and Always Willing to help you grow up too....In Him!!! I love you very much!! You're Never too Big for my lap:) Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you are so right. At times, that puppy does represent the Lord... especially when we aren't satisfied with his answer... we take out our frustration on him. Though like the puppy, He is still there... waiting. I love to hear different perspectives from my writing... thanks momma. Thanks for being you: a wonderful, loving, inspiring, Momma seeking God and pointing me back to Him in all I do. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts