Have I Told You Lately?



Once upon a time, I lived in a little ranch style house in Texas. My momma stayed home and my daddy worked. I remember waiting to hear the car pull up around 5pm every day, the time my daddy came home from work. My little brother and I would race to the saloon doors (yes... it was a VERY southwestern house) and scream, "Daaaddddddyyyyyy!" Wow, that seems like only yesterday.

As I grew older, my brother and I went from greeting our dad at the door to hollering "hey dad" from another part of the house. Then we hit the teen years. We went from hollering to waiting for him to come into the room where we were just to say, "Hey dad. How was your day?" Looking back, I wonder just how we lost that excitement we once had. Most every kid has had the parent they are closer to. Me and my momma have been inseparable; but my dad and I haven't always been.

It was this summer when I really started asking myself how well I knew my dad. I knew he had a job; though I still can't figure out to this day quite what he does... he's just too smart! He's taken us on wonderful vacations. He's been an amazing provider. He and my momma raised me to have a strong relationship with my heavenly Father by always pointing me back to Him. I know my dad's favorite candy. I know somewhat of his childhood. Most importantly, I know how much he loves me. That's when it hit me. Have you ever realized just how important it is to know you are loved by your daddy? It is Him I look to to see Christ. He is the one that sets the example for how we are to love others. My dad loves me no matter what mistakes I make. He believes in me and motivates me to do my best. He's taught me that my best is enough and because of that I continue to strive in my spiritual life and academically. You know that gut wrenching feeling when you disappoint someone? How about when you disappoint your dad? Now, how about our heavenly Father?

This school year, God has taught me so much. Just when I wonder what's next, I take a look at where I am. In these past few weeks, my dad accepted a job in Ohio. He'll be living with my momma and brother a whole lot farther away than now. You know that saying, "You don't realize what you have until it's gone." Well thankfully, my family isn't gone... but they'll be in another state. This is something I know I will struggle with as I struggle with the idea of it now. I never realized just how much I loved my dad until recently. I've always loved him... but this move is making us closer. I can't say where I'd be today if it weren't for him. God has truly blessed me! I am so thankful to be my daddy's little girl. Ever find yourself asking, "Have I told you lately...." Well, to my dad...
Have I told you lately just how much I love you? Have I told you how much you mean to me? You mean the world. I am proud of you. And I couldn't have asked for anyone better.

The Bible Says:

"Fill us each morning with your constant love, so that we may sing and be glad all our life." Psalm 90:14

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother- which is the first commandment with a promise- that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy a long life on the earth. Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in training and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:1-4

Comments

  1. Awe!!! Your Daddy is going to Cry Sara!!! Yes...he does love you so very much. We are sooo Blessed to have him in our lives. He loves our Heavenly Father so very much.......and though he feels inadequate at times, fathering, he does his best!!! And he is never afraid to say he's sorry, give a hug, or pray for us. He gives us his Best, like his Heavenly Father always gives him His Best!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts